#SHORTVIEW: “Batmobile” by Deyan Bararev

Synopsis:

Obsessed with his stolen family car, which he now sees everywhere, divorced and emasculated, Vladimir is trying to win back his son’s respect – who once thought of him as Batman.


MY WORDS, THEY WOULD BE ABSURD


> Your short film plays a lot with strange combinations, like drama and comedy. Sometimes, the situations or conversations don’t even make sense – was this on purpose?

At first, with this project, I only wanted to make a comedy; but to a certain degree, I think it’s expected from me to do drama, because maybe that’s how people see me because of my past projects. So far as I can tell, anyway, this was not a “pure” comedy, because, even though it had some elements of parody, like the fight scene, it’s much more about flawed relationships.

I had a constant struggle about how to portray this, you know, how to convey the specifics of how a father and a son tried to communicate, but couldn’t. I wanted their intents to be primal, to be visceral, not to use a lot of words – and if I used words, they would be absurd, because the situation itself makes no sense to them.

> Would you say that the car that the father is constantly seeking might represent this relationship between the main characters?

Definitely. And also, in a way, it also represents the father’s masculinity. It’s this idea of the past, that is just floating around. In the end, it doesn’t even matter if it’s the real car: what matter is what the car represented, and how that relationship flows throughout the movie. The whole story revolved around this idea.

> Why did you decide to use the figure and name of “Batman” in your story?

It’s undeniable that Batman is a really popular symbol. For me, this was a way to imply a background story between the father and the son, to suggest how their relationship may have used to be in the past, when the child saw his father as a “hero” – which, after all, is the main conflict of the film.

Also, I have to admit that I personally have always been a fan of Batman. He’s like, really cool. One of the coolest superheroes, in my opinion. Batman is the only hero -or one of the few- that has no real superpowers. He’s like a universal role model.

> You’ve been a prominent figure in the Bulgarian short films circuit. How have you adapted the context of Bulgaria into your stories, and how do you feel about the Bulgarian scene of short films?

You know, I’m not very successful at imagining things I have no connection with. When I make films, I always come back to the themes that I know, and they happen to be themes that are very connected to Bulgaria, because that’s where I’m from – but I think everyone does that, even if they don’t want to admit it.

About the Bulgarian scene, I think it’s good, it’s healthy; but right now, I think there is something happening that we could call a “wave” of films going outside. There are many festival films being recognized, awarded and screened outside of Bulgaria, and then they are getting bought by TV channels, etc. That’s good, but they are not being watched here in Bulgaria, only outside, so that’s a problem, in a way.

> Why did you particularly choose to use short films to express yourself?

I’ve tried to answer this question myself many times. You know, when you’re getting into it, you read all these stories about how people got into film, how they went through these incredible processes; and I’m pretty sure they’re making these stories up so they sound cool, because I had no clue about the future when I started.

I think, at the beginning, you just watch films and you enjoy them, and you start watching different ones and find yourself in different worlds, and at some point, you start thinking: why don’t I make one myself? And that’s it. That’s your thing now. And it’s a very exciting thing to make films, and you meet all these incredible people that want to share their imagination with you, and it’s all so beautiful.


Deyan has been working on some other projects which can not be disclosed at the moment; and in his words, he’d “just like to continue making films”.